On display at the four-acre El Paso Municipal Rose Garden are more than 1300 rose bushes of more than 300 different rose varieties. The first 200 roses were planted in April 1958 by the City of El Paso and the El Paso Rose Society. The Rose Garden opened to the public in May 1959. Initially one-and- a-half acres, it was expanded to its present size in 2005-2006 by the City of El Paso. There are special sections in the garden for Earth-Kind roses, miniature roses and native plants from the Rose Family.
Since 2007, El Paso Master Gardeners have volunteered at the El Paso Municipal Rose Garden as part of an agreement between the Texas AgriLife Extension Service and the City of El Paso in cooperation with the El Paso Rose Society. Volunteers do pruning, deadheading, weeding, rose inventories and other tasks to keep the garden looking beautiful. The volunteers provide rose care and other information to garden visitors and conduct group tours during peak bloom times. They also assist the El Paso Rose Society with the annual public pruning demonstration every February.
The Master Gardener Rose Garden Committee coordinates the volunteer activities with the Extension Horticultural Agent, the Rose Society and the City. Master Gardener volunteers provide thousands of hours of rose care in the garden each year and many hours of public education as well.
The El Paso Municipal Rose Garden is one of more than 130 public gardens accredited by All-America Rose Selections (AARS) to show AARS award–winning roses. It is located at 1702 N. Copia St. and is open to the public daily from March 1 through October 30, 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 pm.