The Post-Secondary Scholarships are awarded to graduating high school seniors and Beyond High School individuals or prior scholarship awardees working towards a degree, certificate program, or license majoring in education or science with a concentration in horticulture, botany, entomology, plant ecology or related fields and whose plan is to attend a local area college, university, or trade school (Del Mar College, Texas A&M University Corpus Christi, Texas A&M University Kingsville, and Craft Training Center). These scholarships are to help students develop knowledge and skills in horticulture that will benefit the local community.
The committee will evaluate the student’s needs, along with the program objectives, budget constraints, and reasonable assurance that the amount awarded will go towards successful completion of the course, certificate, exam, or license. The monies will be deposited with the institution. Funds are to be used for tuition, books, supplies or exams.
The Scholarship Committee reserves the right to mix and match award types so long as the cumulative total of the scholarship does not exceed $1,700 budgeted for scholarships.
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Present proof of High School graduation
- Provide proof of course enrollment
- Provide Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number
Complete Application Packet must include:
- A completed application. High School Students download application here. Students who are Beyond High School download application here.
- A 300-word essay that describes the need and goals of the student including:
- Describing your gardening or botanical interests.
- Describing how getting this scholarship and completing the course, certificate, or license further your career or goals.
- Describing how you have been involved in your school or the community including high school club involvement.
- Describing their desire and willingness to complete the Program requirements.
- Include information & photo release form, contact form and a cell phone portrait.
- Have the High School send a certified High School Transcript to NMG.
- Send complete Application Packet to Nueces Master Gardener Association by email attachment or mail to NMG address below by the deadline of May 15:
Nueces Master Gardener Association
Attn: Scholarship Committee
710 E. Main Street, Suite 1
Robstown, TX 78380
- If the student withdraws from the course or is dropped from the course, the student is responsible for the cost of the scholarship. The institution will return the unused portion of the scholarship to NMG.
- Students must provide Nueces Master Gardener with proof of course completion mailed from the institution.
- Students receiving scholarships are strongly encouraged to attend the Nueces Master Gardener December Celebration Program.
Students who successfully complete the course, certificate or license program can apply for an additional scholarships from NMG.