This scholarship is implemented by Nueces Master Gardeners, Inc. (NMG), a Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Program, to assist local youth with continued education in horticulture training or formal education.
The Nueces Master Gardener Intern Scholarships are to be awarded to 10th, 11th and 12th Grade high school students or post graduate students up to the age of 23 who have an interest in horticulture/gardening and will enter the program with the goal of becoming a Certified Master Gardener. At least one Parent(s) Guardian/(s) is/are strongly encouraged to participate
The scholarships will cover the cost of the NMG Handbook, an NMG badge and an NMG membership shirt for the student and one or both of the parents and or guardians upon graduation. The scholarships will fund a minimum of 3 students and not to exceed 5 students with his or her parents and or guardians.
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- For Post Graduate Students documentation of participation in any degree programs
- The scholarships will cover the cost of the NMG Handbook, a NMG badge and a NMG membership shirt for the student and one or both of the parent(s) and or guardian(s) upon certification.
- Course Requirements include: Graduating from the Nueces Master Gardeners course and Certifying by earning 50 hours of volunteer time and 6 hours of Continuing Education the year following graduation to complete the requirements of the scholarship program and to become a Certified Master Gardener.
- Students will be trained to enter their Volunteer and Continuing Education (CE) hours into the Volunteer Management System (VMS).
- They will keep the Outreach Program Chair and VMS Coordinator appraised of their progress.
- Students receiving scholarships are highly encouraged to attend the Nueces Master Gardener December Graduation Program.
- If the student withdraws from the Intern Program or fails to certify in the required time, they shall return the Texas Master Gardener Handbook, their NMG Shirt, Name Badge and they will forfeit their Refundable Deposit
Complete Application Packet must include:
- A completed application which is available in Word or PDF Formats.
- Complete a 300-word essay on the need and goals of the student including
- Describing your gardening or botanical interests.
- Describing how getting this scholarship and completing the course will further your interest or goals.
- Describing how you have been involved in any high school or community organizations.
- Describing their desire and willingness to complete the Program requirements.
- Describing how your parent(s)/guardian(s) will assist you in your educational goals.
- Include Student Contact Information Form and Information and Photo Release Form and a cell phone portrait.
- If submitting completed application by email, you may remit the deposit using PayPal .
- If mailing the completed application please include a Check/Money order in the amount of $30.00 made out to: Nueces Master Gardener, Inc., memo line: Refundable Deposit Intern Class 32.
- You may submit the completed application by email or by regular USPS post. If sending application and deposit by USPS post, please mail to the NMG office at the following address:
Nueces Master Gardener, Inc.
Attn: Intern Scholarship Program
710 E. Main Street, Suite 1
Robstown, TX 78380
**This deposit is refundable upon the completion of the course. Failure to complete the course with its requirement will result in forfeiture of the deposit.
- Deadline: May 27, 2022 for Packet and Refundable Deposit