Gardening tasks for June:
- Take stem- cuttings from woody perennials & ornamentals to produce more plants.
- If mums are tall & leggy cut back ½ & pinch off blooms.
- Deadhead lavender, coreopsis & other summer bloomers to encourage second bloom.
- Disinfect pruners & loppers with a 1/10 bleach & water solution to discourage spread of disease. Rinse well and oil blades.
- Sharpen hoes & shovels.
- Weed, weed & weed some more.
- Set sundials on June 15th. Place it so the shadow falls on 12 at EXACTLY 12 noon.
- Clean & refill hummingbird feeders every 4 days. Use 1-cup sugar to 4 cups water. DO NOT use food coloring.
- Water & turn compost bins.
- Clean & refill birdbaths. Try putting 5 pennies in each birdbath to help out with the scum.
- Get rid of standing water to discourage mosquitoes. If you have open water containers add orange peels to keep mosquitoes down.
- Look for insects on all plants.
- Replenish mulch as needed.
- Plant fall-blooming bulbs.
- Sow fall vegetable seeds such as broccoli, pumpkin, cauliflower, cabbage, & kale late in the month.
- Continue to plant annuals & annual seeds in vacant spots.
- Net fruit trees to protect from the birds.
- Fertilize beds & roses.
- Pinch back fall bloomers like Mexican mint marigold, Mexican bush sage & asters.
- Go out & enjoy the fruits of your labor!