Gardening tasks for February:
- Prune spring and summer flowering trees and shrubs before bud swell.
- Prune roses leaving several healthy canes.
- Plant roses, bare root fruit and nut trees, grapes and berries.
- Fertilize peach and plum trees.
- Plant gladiolas, ground covers, hollyhocks and nasturtiums.
- Plant cool season vegetables like onion, potatoes, collards, broccoli, sugar peas, beets, carrots and turnips.
- Divide late summer and fall blooming plants like cannas, fall asters, mums and perennial salvias.