What is the Victoria County Master Gardener Association?
VCMGA is a voluntary, nonprofit, educational, literary and charitable association organized to support Texas A&M AgriLife Extension and the Texas Master Gardener Association. VCMGA is not affiliated with any commercial enterprises. VCMGA serves Victoria County, Texas, in cooperation with the county’s AgriLife Extension Office. Please click JOIN US for more information about how to be come a Victoria County Master Gardener Member.
VCMGA Meeting Information – VCMGA Members:
Board Meeting Tuesday, Sept. 26 at 11:15. Dig In Deeper will begin at 12:15 and the Member Meeting will begin at 1:15. Call our VCMGA President for further information: 361-894-1177
VCMGA Smart Gardening Symposium
October 7 @ 9:00 AM – 3:30 PM
$60 SEE FLYER HERE FOR EXTENDED DEADLINE UNTIL SEPTEMBER 29, 2023
October 7, 2023 – Registration Extended CLICK
More info HERE.
Please consider becoming a Sponsor/Donor
Thank YOU for supporting the
VCMGA Fall Plant Sale
We appreciate everyone coming out to VEG Pavilion and shopping and visiting with MGs about growing plants in our area.
If you need any information about the plants that you bought during our Fall Plant Sale (or any of our plant sales), please see our Plant Library page. You can also email email@example.com or call 361-935-1556.
Please find new 2023 Project Application and submit to: VCMGA P. O. Box 3822 Victoria, TX 77903
Victoria Educational Gardens Please call Barbara Hennig for VEG TOURS. 361-579-0814.
Victoria Educational Gardens & Greenhouse WORKDAYS – Monday and Thursday mornings.
You can always visit with our master gardeners while they are out working to keep VEG beautiful. VEG is located at 333 Bachelor Dr. in Victoria, TX (out by the Control Tower by Victoria Regional Airport.) It is open dawn to dusk daily and is FREE to visit.
Teacher Grants – Find application form HERE. There’s still time to apply this school year.
VCMGA Clifton J. Knezek Memorial College Scholarship Application coming
- To increase the gardening knowledge of its members and the general public.
- To support and assist Texas A&M AgriLife Extension by providing the community with information on good gardening practices through news articles, clinics, presentations, school programs and other community groups, by telephone and digital media.
An Active VCMGA Member:
- Has completed the Master Gardener course of instruction, fifty (50) volunteer service hours and has been certified by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension, The Texas A&M University System.
- Pays annual dues and has a background check.
- Maintains certification through re-certification every year which requires 6 hours of approved Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and 21 volunteer hours, which includes 15 hours in Victoria Educational Gardens.
- Attends and participates in Membership meetings which are typically on the fourth Tuesday of each month and provide opportunities to earn CEUs.
Who Are Texas Master Gardeners?
Master Gardeners are volunteers, trained by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension in research-based horticulture including soils, water conservation, composting, entomology, plant pathology and related subjects. As County Extension Service volunteers, they give to the community by extending research-based knowledge and providing solutions in one-to-one problem solving, in a demonstration gardens and educational programs. What really sets Master Gardeners apart from other home gardeners is their special training in horticulture.
Master Gardeners are representatives of Texas AgriLife Extension. In all volunteer work related to the program, Master Gardeners follow the research-based recommendations of Texas AgriLife Extension. The title “Texas Master Gardener” can be used by volunteers only when engaged in Extension-sponsored activities.
What do Victoria Master Gardener Association Members Do?
- Victoria Educational Gardens
- Gardeners Dirt in the Victoria Advocate
- Youth Education
- School Garden Projects
- Teacher Grants for gardening projects – Application HERE!
- Speakers Bureau
- Lunch and Learn with the Masters Presentations
- Summer Gardening Camp for Kids
- Annual Open House “Meet and Greet” with Information about VCMGA’s training course
- 14 Week Training Course with Field Trips
- Monthly Chapter Meetings with Informative/ Educational Speakers
- Annual Plant Sales
- Maintain and operate propagation areas and greenhouse
- Educate members and visitors about the many methods of propagation
- VEG Garden Paver Project
- Provide educational opportunities at South Texas Farm & Ranch Show
- Promote Rainwater Harvesting