The Henderson County Master Gardener Association (HCMGA) is your resource for gardens (and lawns) in Henderson County, Texas! Master Gardeners are trained in horticulture from Texas A&M Agrilife Extension Service with a focus on plants and conditions in East Texas. In return, we contribute time as volunteers, working through our county Extension office to provide horticultural-related information to residents of Henderson County.
Here’s how we (HCMGA) give back to our community:
- We provide unbiased, research-based gardening information pertinent to Henderson County and East Texas on this website. A great place to start is under the “Gardening Info” or “Plant Library” tab.
- We publish helpful gardening articles each week in local newspapers.
- We offer a spiral-bound “Monthly Gardening Guide” that is specific to East Texas for a donation of $15. This handy book lists the vegetable planting dates and gardening chores – month by month – for flowers, shrubs, trees, lawn, and ground cover (scroll down for more info). Get your copy at the Henderson County Extension Office or at our next event!
- We constantly share up-to-date gardening information on our Facebook page.
- We maintain and constantly update our “demonstration garden” – the Harvest Garden. It is a backyard style edible garden and butterfly garden complete with hoop house, fruit trees, and small vineyard – all on the grounds of Henderson County Fairpark Complex. Year round, this garden is a source of education, inspiration, and good ideas.
- We email our free e-newsletter loaded with lots of gardening information. If you are not signed up to receive it, please email us at: email@example.com. We will add you to our email list.
- We’re available to answer gardening questions for individuals via email. Please feel free to email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We happily consult with schools and community organizations about their gardening projects or problems.
- We staff Gardening Information Booths at community events. If your organization is planning a special event and would like Master Gardeners to answer gardening questions for your attendees in a friendly, one-on-one way, please feel free to contact us.
- We share our well-researched horticultural information through a variety of lively talks, demonstrations, and Power Point presentations to groups and organizations. Please, feel free to contact us for more information on how to schedule a speaker and program.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We’re here to help!
More information on the Monthly Gardening Guide
We are pleased to offer a Newly Updated in 2024 Month-by-Month Gardening Guide for only $20.
This guide is specifically for gardening in East Texas.
It lists the vegetable planting dates and gardening chores each month for flowers, shrubs, trees, lawn, and ground cover.
Tips and tricks relating to the chores listed are also included. For example, pruning information for roses, hydrangeas, and clematis is given. Additionally, the four different types of hydrangeas commonly grown in East Texas are listed, along with the correct pruning method and timing for each type. A breakdown of clematis types and the proper pruning of each one is also included.
The guide also contains additional information pertaining to gardening in East Texas. Topics such as soils, watering, butterfly and bee gardens, Texas Superstar® plants, bulbs, wildflowers, and herbs are included.
This book will be a treasure to every gardener in East Texas. It can be used year after year. The guide also has additional pages each month for writing notes. This allows a gardener to personalize it to their own specific garden.
Covered with plastic, this spiral-bound book is approximately 5.5 x 8.5 inches, just the perfect size to pop into your tote or wagon and take out in the garden with you. You may want to purchase several for friends and family, and some for gifts.
Proceeds from the sale of this book help fund horticultural educational projects and programs designed to meet the needs of Henderson County gardeners. HCMGA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
The guides are available at the Henderson County Extension Office, 3rd floor, Courthouse, Athens or at one of HCMGA’s community events.
For more information, call the extension office 903-675-6130 or email us at hendersonCMGA@gmail.com.