by Linda Heideman, Somervell County Master Gardener
For the lawn and beds:
- Make sure the lawn is getting about 1-1.5 inches of water every week, watering between 2a.m.-6a.m. is ideal.
- Keep lawn mowed and landscaping weeded to prevent an infestation of chiggers.
- Plant heat loving plants such as salvia, purslane, and portulaca.
- Water potted plants and baskets often – twice a day on triple digit days.
- Give plants a summer boost by fertilizing throughout lawn and beds.
For the garden:
- Check the garden daily and harvest veggies regularly for the best tasting and tender vegetables.
- All month long: Sow black-eyed peas, parsley, Swiss chard, and collards.
- Beginning of the month: Sow bush and pole beans, Irish potatoes
- Middle of the month: Sow cabbage and head lettuce.
- End of the month: Sow kale, spinach, and turnip seeds.
- Turn your compost pile.
Copied from the website of Ideal Partners Landscapes, Fort Worth