Master Gardener 1991-2009
Her total accumulated volunteer hours are 5043.
When asked about her largest endeavor, she said, “My biggest challenge was planning and organizing the 1993 International Master Gardener Conference and Trade Show. I had never done anything this big and was really scared to death even though I had tons of help and support. Of her length of service she says, “I had hoped to make it 20 years, but decided to leave it at 18, when I moved back to Oklahoma. I had a wonderful 18 years and met some of the greatest people from all parts of the United States and Canada.”
Major Accomplishments and Contributions in Bexar County:
- Instrumental in opening the Schultz House as a gift shop, which is a fundraiser for the Bexar County Master Gardeners. The Schultz House is located in historic Hemisfair Park, downtown San Antonio, and is home to the beautiful Bexar County M.G. Demonstration Gardens.
- Chaired the successful 1993 International Master Gardener Conference and Trade Show held at the Marriott River Center, August, 1993. Attendance 668, Trade Show 2000.
- Co-Chair for Local Arrangements Committee, 1995 Garden Writers Association of America Symposium held in San Antonio.
- Served the Organizational Committee for the People-Plant Interactions in Urban Areas Symposium held in San Antonio, May 23-26, 1996. Member of the first International Master Gardener Conference Committee. This committee developed the procedures and guidelines for site location, rotation and qualifications for future International Master Gardener Conferences, starting in 2001.
- Chaired the successful 1999 International Master Gardener Conference held at the Adam’s Mark Hotel in San Antonio, Texas, August 19-22. Attendance 1124.
In addition, while in Bexar County served as Vice President, Publication Coordinator, conducted registrations for many educational programs, organized field trips, distributed educational materials at special events, and helped with the Inner City Children’s Gardens (Guadeloupe Street).
Major Accomplishments and Contributions in Nacogdoches County:
- Nacogdoches County Master Gardener president from 1997-1998
- Elected President of the Stephen F. Austin Mast Arboretum Volunteers, 1999-2000.
- Member of the Board of Advisors for the SFA Mast Arboretum and Native Plant Center 1998-2009.
Major Accomplishments and Contributions in Angelina County:
- Served two terms as Secretary/Treasurer
- Chaired the Audit Committee two years
- Chaired the Annual Landscape Seminar in 2002, 2003, 2004
- Chaired the East Texas Gardening Extravaganza in 2005 and 2006.
In addition, organized field trips, pulled weeds and planted demonstration gardens at the Angelina County Farmers Market, participated in plant propagation, assisted with newsletter mailings and plant sales.
- Master Gardener of the Year (Bexar County) 1992.
- Special Appreciation Certificate from Bexar County Master Gardeners for Service Above and Beyond in Planning and Organizing the 1993 International Master Gardener Conference. TXMGA Master Gardener of the Year 1995.
- Certificate of Appreciation by Garden Writers Association of America, 1995.
- Master Gardener Emeritus, 2010
Numerous other certificates for service.