The Demonstration Gardens were established starting in 2000 to demonstrate the wide range of different types of plants that can be grown with minimum care and water under Brazoria County growing conditions. As the Master Gardeners program developed, members with similar interest created different gardens. In the conception of a garden, they discussed the garden’s goals, plans, layout and plants. Some gardens are test plots for TAMU projects, others for the enjoyment of plants. Many planted varieties are established favorites, needing no testing to prove their hardiness. Others varieties are less familiar that need several years of testing to understand how they withstand the county’s pest and climate variations.
- Demonstrate the large number of species of trees, shrubs and other plants suitable for planting in Brazoria County.
- Demonstrate how these plants can be used in home landscaping.
- Demonstrate the proper care of plants.
- Utilize the Education Station as a learning, teaching and testing facility as we demonstrate good gardening techniques.
- Maintain “mother” plants to be used for propagation for our plant sale.
- Share our love of gardening with the public and give visitors a beautiful place to relax and enjoy our gardens.
- Foster positive environmental stewardship.
We welcome visitors. We can be found working in our gardens each Tuesday and Friday mornings from 8:00am until noon. The coffee pot is always ready, so see you there.